Sunday, March 29, 2009

He's really gone!

Yes, it's been quite the emotional week. Richard did leave on Wed. We had many things going on and a lot of projects, but finally at 12:30 a.m. on Wed. morning we got it all finished and went to bed. 3 1/2 hours later I got up to finish getting him ready and to get all the kids dressed and ready to take him to the airport. We left about 6:00 a.m. and drove Richard to the Salt Lake City airport. His flight left at 8:00 a.m. They offered to allow us to go all the way to the plane, but we didn't want to draw out the emotion ... it was nicer to feel rushed and late and not really think about it. When the ticket lady had sympathy for our situation and told our family thank-you's for our sacrifices, I did get quite teary-eyed, but I walked in front of all the kids so they wouldn't see. They were all holding up so well and almost excited with adrenaline in the air. I'm sure they don't really comprehend one whole year! He goes so often for a few weeks that I'm sure they just assume that's all it is. We had one last final hug at security and the kids and I left. We got McDonald's for breakfast and Bradly even said, "YESSSS! This is the best day of my life!" First of all, how pathetic it is that my kids think breakfast at McD's is so amazing, and 2nd of all, I totally knew they really didn't have a clue what the next year was about to be! LOL!

We happened to pull into Roy right when the younger kids started school so we took them straight into their class. Rylan's school starts about 30 min earlier, so I walked him in and signed him in late. He had baseball tryouts with the Jr. high and the cut list was out that morning, so I was anxious to see if he made it or not.

So that is our other big news! The Jr. High only has one team for the whole school and the school consists of 7th, 8th, and 9th graders. I was really hoping he would red shirt, which means that you're kind-of on the team ... you go to the practice, and can only be at the home games and you have to sit on the bench. After all week of continuing to be called back, he found out Fri morning that he made the team! He's not even red shirting!! He and his 2 other friends on his Competition Sandlot team made it and several 8th graders red shirted! We are so excited for him and this is a huge accomplishment!!

Richard called me at about 10:30 a.m. our time on Thurs. He just got in to Kunsan. It took him over 26 hours to get there!! He was also able to call on Sat. He has no phone and no way for me to call him so he uses the twice a week moral calls that the military gives us and calls from the hall phone in the dorms. He got there and hit the ground running! They started an exercise Sunday so on Sat they gave him all his chem gear. Poor guy. He hasn't done any in processing or briefings or anything. He'll work at least 12 hour shifts and we'll have to wait until the exercise is over before we can grasp our means of communication. He may buy a cel phone there, but wants to wait because in a few weeks, he may be going to Alaska TDY for 7 weeks. No sense in spending that much money on a cel if he's in Alaska!! If he doesn't go on that TDY then he's trying to go on a TDY in June to Japan (Kadena AFB). This would be great because we have several friends there and it's a money maker!! Right now we're just going with the 2 calls a week, but they are only 20 min and after he talks to 5 kids, I don't have much time left.

He does have an address now: TSgt Richard Shimer
8th MXS
PSC 2 Box 693
APO AP 96264

I know he would love to get mail from anyone, and it's just like mailing stateside. Well, that's about it for now! I'll try and get back on my weekly schedule. Thanks to all for the love and support. I've really appreciated the phone calls! We all now I'm a more verbal person and it's so nice to have adult conversation!! So please keep the emails, phone calls, and comments coming! Love to all! Kim

7 comments:

Anderson Adventures said...

Just wanted you to know I am thinking about you!!! You are such a strong woman and if anyone can handle this, you can. I know there isn't much I can do, but if you ever need anything and are in Boise please let me know.

Jennifer said...

OK so this made me laugh! You are crazy girl and of course McDOnalds is a high light, although we have boycotted them since they support gay and lsbian groups to the hilt!Anyway, sorry you are without your hubby. I feel like a single parent most of the time too, but still know I can pass on some honey-dues so I will be praying for you! So when are you heading to SD? We just had a major blizard roll through here dropped a few inches and now is melting into a big muddy brown mess. Yuck for Missouri. Anyway, keep us posted. We love to here about all your doings and is fun to know all those wonderful shinangans done by my kids are done by yours too! Yeah for kids! love ya, Jennifer

Hedgpeth Fam said...

We are thinking about you and Richard a lot! Thanks for including his address so we can write him. I hope the phone call situation changes, that sounds AWFUL!

Kate said...

It is so fun to follow your blog!! Nate has been gone the past month, and I can't even imagine...A YEAR!! Get a web cam and do the skype thing, it makes it much easier on the kids..We will keep you in our prayers...you can do it, you makes all these air force things look easy...keep your chin up!!! Kate Niederhauser

Jones Crew said...

Sorry Kim that is all I can say cause I know how you feel!!! I think Josh said it best in one of his latest e-mails. THIS SUCKS!!!! I agree! The time is going by sometimes fast sometimes slow. I hope it starts to cruise by for both of us!

The Barkers said...

I love reading your blog. It always makes me smile! It takes some studying of this blog to get it down. It is so exciting and fun to see how much money you can save. These ladies pretty much map it out for you! As long as you read peoples comments and look at past posts you'll get the hang of it! Let me know if you ever start experimenting with it! I am always curious to hear peoples stories. Take care!

The Barkers said...

I forgot... I don't know how you do it! geez! Sounds like the kids have enough going on and you are good at doing little projects to make the time atleast go by a little quicker! I can't imagine!

My new stylist

My new stylist

FHE

FHE
Holman's Hen House Poppers

Fall or Winter

Fall or Winter
Let it snow?!!!!

Broken Window

Broken Window
Evidence A

Two Favorite Men

Two Favorite Men
Rylan pitching; Richard umpiring

Canning

Canning
Molly Mormons

Richard

Richard
Only in Ut do you have a ward team!

Can't wait to grow up!

Can't wait to grow up!

Morgan

Morgan

Addison

Addison

Brad

Brad

Elayna

Elayna